Saturday, August 4, 2012

Dease Lake to Telkwa, BC

Dease Lake to Telkwa, BC

Saturday, August 4th


View Larger Map

Telkwa is just south and east of Smithers and 220 west of Prince George, BC. We were on the road by 7:15 am but had to stop for gas as I didn’t do it before stopping last night. It was mostly cloudy and 48⁰ when we left and by the time we reached Smithers I was pealing off my jacket. We arrive around 3:30 pm,we traveled 384 miles and it was 79⁰ when we reached the RV Park.

Road south of Dease Lake


The road was much better south of Dease Lake as it had undergone seal coating and I’m sure before they did they evened it out. Still somewhat narrow and not much in the way of shoulders but without traffic I traveled at 55 and occasionally 60 mph. In the first 50 miles today I encountered two vehicles but that changed as the day wore on and people got on the road.

When I reached Kinaskan Provincial Park there was a marked improvement


Small dashes on the road in preparation for painting the actual of lines on the road.

Fully lined road


The road from Kinaskan to about Bob Quinn Lake had painted lines and was quite smooth.


The road was lined with wildflowers of all colors but fireweed along with daisies and the yellow flowers not identified were like a carpet. Much of today if felt like I was driving through a special park. I even saw another little Black Bear as it ducked into the bushes from the road.



Notice most of these photos were taken through the windshield as there is not shoulder to pull off on and as I said before, when there is there isn’t a shot.
All along the road are rivers, streams, ponds, marshes, and lakes.


There were many gorgeous stands of fireweed


I passed by Kinaskan Lake Campground and Meziadin Lake Campground which are two I would like to come back and spend a little time at. In between was Bell 2 RV Park which looked very nice.

Past Meziadin Junction the clouds started to clear and I could start to see the mountains I’m sure I had been traveling through.



They really stood out as I approached Kitwanga



I am at Fort Telkwa RV Riverside RV Park



The sites all back up to the river and it is pretty. Only problem is the highway is just up the hill from the sites and across the river is the railroad. Only two trains so far but it seem they have to blow the whistle about 5 long blasts and 3 or 4 short blasts. I’m sure the people in town are used to it by now but for anyone not used to trains nearby this would certainly get their attention.

Tomorrow Sadie and I will move on the somewhere south of Prince George. The Thompson and Frazier river canyons are down that stretch and so we will plan it to be able to see them before we are real tierd. Of course Sadie may sleep through the sights.

Reports from Linda continue to be positive so we will continue to hope all goes well. We appreciate all that have expressed their concern and for their prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Love the road shots! Everything is so green then the sky shots are so blue. Gorgeous! Hope you have smooth roads and clear skies for the remainder of your trip.
    Jan H

    ReplyDelete