Friday, August 3, 2012

Whitehorse, YT to Dease Lake, BC

Whitehorse, YT to Dease Lake, BC

Friday, August 3rd


View Larger Map

Sadie and I got a good start today as we were on the road by 7:20 am. It was mostly cloudy and 46⁰ when we left and by 9 am or so it was raining lightly and continued to do so all the way to Dease Lake and it was 52⁰ when we arrived. We traveled 405 miles.

The Cassier Highway started out narrow and some ups and downs as the road followed the terrain for the most part. If the terrain dipped so did the road. They did do some cut and fills if the slope would be too steep. Also there are no shoulders on the road but it isn’t a problem if you keep your eyes on the road, I did. Once I got past Boya Lake the road widened out for much of the way but there will still some narrow sections, plenty wide but it appears narrow. There are no lines painted on the road so you are free to choose your best path. I encountered about 20 vehicles in 100 miles. Some parts were rough with travel limited to 40-45 mph and others smooth and I could travel 55-60 mph.

This highway is definitely worth driving as it is beautiful as you drive between the mountains and along clear streams, rivers, and lakes. Not like many of them in the Yukon and Alaska that carry glacial silt or mud.

Today was also a good wildlife day although no pictures. I saw one small Black Bear along the edge of the road eating grass then about 15-20 miles down the Alaska Highway I saw another big Black Bear. The first one I saw at the last minute and couldn’t stop and the second was surrounded by other vehicles. Oh well, you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all right?

Fire area


This fire was in 2010 and delayed people we know from going down the Cassier. They were held at Junction 37 (Hwy 37 and Alaska Hwy) until it was safe to be led through. It burned a very large area. The fire weed is everywhere intermixed with the burned trees.

Mountains along the road


If only the day had been clear.

Some other views along the Highway





I am at Dease Lake RV Park which is OK but the Wi-Fi is slow. No cell service and the OnStar doesn’t work here because no one provides cell service. I tried calling Linda on Google Call but the connection was to slow for either of us to understand the other. It will have to be email tonight.

The reports on our daughter and baby grandson are good, but there is a long way to go for him.

I haven’t figured out where I will stop tomorrow so I will just go down the road and see where I wind up.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Glen,
    Enjoying your blog and hope that tomorrow is a good day with some sunshine. Take care and drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen,
    I am still enjoying the pictures. It is in the 90's here so the rain and over cast are refreshing.
    The lakes where the trees come right down to the water look so unspoiled unlike our over crowded lakes in this part of California. What ever pictures you take I appreciate.
    I hope you and Sadie are kept safe and sound.
    Sincerely,
    Jan H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it home... and a great job on your blog. Our trip north was very memorable and done just in time... Now we are planning our next RV adventure.... and will probably leave just after the 2013 rally. See you there?

    Bob Nelson
    Cove

    ReplyDelete