Sunday, August 5, 2012

Telkwa to Cache Creek, BC

Telkwa to Cache Creek, BC

Sunday, August 5th



View Larger Map

After finishing yesterday’s post I remembered I wanted to mention the construction south of Dease Lake and I think it was even south of Kinaskan Lake. They were cutting a swath with heavy equipment wide enough for a 6 lane freeway. They were make cuts and fills that will straighten and widen the road appreciably and a few years from now when finished everything south of Dease lake will be great highway.

On to today.

We got on the road at 7:50 am with sunny skies and 51⁰ and by 10 am it was 79⁰ and continued to get hotter the further east then south we went. By the time we arrived at Cache Creek it was 99⁰ at 6 pm. We traveled 498 miles and that was more than I intended.

I had decided on a place that looked promising in one of the books we have at Lac La Hache, Fircrest Resort and RV Campground. I pulled into it and it is right on the lake with the boat docks just behind the office. Unfortunately or possibly fortunately their power was out and at that point it was 94⁰ so I decided to pass on it. To get turned around I had to drive through the RV sites and I’m glad I didn’t check in. They were very close together and the place was full except for two sites. People and kids were everywhere. As I drove out it I thought it was once a great place…. In the 50s maybe.

I had expected to see some great scenery as people had talked about the Frazier and Thompson Rivers. What I have seen so far isn’t anything out of the ordinary. It may be down another road or I haven’t come to it yet. We will see tomorrow.

Pictures of the Frazier River.




Most of the way the scenery was of hay fields and pastures that were in cleared forest areas and were quite nice to look at. I didn’t see many beef or dairy cattle but I’m sure that are somewhere around.

The forests have changed from predominately spruce with some poplar family of trees intermixed (aspen, birch, cottonwood, and poplar as well as some others I couldn’t identify). For most of the day it was more pines with some spruce mixed in with the poplar trees. When I neared Cache Creek I felt like I was driving along the backside of the Sierras. The north and east facing slopes had trees but the south and west facing slopes were sparsely treed but with sage brush covering much of it. This must be in the rain shadow of some mountains to the west.

Tomorrow I plan on being somewhere south of Seattle and possibly home on Wednesday night. Sadie is ready to get home and play ball!

It is 9 pm and it is dark outside....Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment