Thursday, August 2, 2012

Homer, AK to Whitehorse, YT

Monday, July 30th to Friday, August 3rd


View Larger Map

After discussing their needs with our daughter and husband they felt it would be best if Linda arrived on August 5th so we booked a flight for her out of Whitehorse, YT to fly down. That all changed Monday morning as our daughter as well as the baby were having more problems, which was more than Linda could take. She didn’t want to leave but was a basket case and anxious to be with her.

We cancelled the Whitehorse flight and got her on a flight out of Anchorage Monday night.

Homer to Eagle River, AK (A-B)

Monday July, 30th


The last few days kind of run together but we got on the road just after 8am and got to Eagle River after stopping in Anchorage to get a travel bag for Linda to take on the plane. It was 236 miles with rain most of the way. It did clear up late in the afternoon and we were able to take some nice walks around the campground at Eagle River State Park.

Our Campsite


The Campground


Notice the nice separation between sites.

Her flight was at 1:30 am Tuesday morning and I needed some sleep so I could drive the next day so I took her to the Airport around 10 pm and got back and to bed by 11. She arrived and was with our daughter and saw her baby by Tuesday morning.

Eagle River to Tok, AK (B-C)

Tuesday, July 31st


I departed at 8:10 am and arrived in Tok at 2:30 pm driving 310 miles. It was in the high 40s when I left and in the low 60s when I arrived in Tok. I didn’t want to go further and not have cell service or Wi-Fi and I didn’t know how much further I could go as the roads had a lot of frost heaves and it was slow going.

The skies were partly cloudy so the drive up the Glenn Highway and past the Matanuska Glacier was great. I didn’t stop for many pictures as we had covered this route before.


I couldn’t resist this shot of the fireweed which is everywhere with the mountains in the background along the Glenn Highway.

The last 20-30 miles of the Glenn Highway as you approach Glennallen had bad frost heaves and broken pavement. From there to about 50 miles up the Tok Cutoff were again bad making travel at 35-45 mph about the best I could do until it smoothed out some.

The Tok Cutoff road skirts the Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve which was beautiful to drive by and see.


Tok, AK to Kluane Lake, YT (C-D)

Wednesday, August 1st


Again, I got on the road just after 8 am and arrived at Cottonwood RV Park on Kluane Lake, YT which was about 240 miles. Much of this section of the Alaska Highway (rejoined it at Tok) once you enter Canada is in rough shape, lots of construction, gravel stretches and frost heaves with broken pavement. Needless to say it was slow, again 35-45 mph much of the time. Just when you think it is smoothing out you hit another stretch. Just about everything in our closets were at the bottom by the time I stopped for the day.

This section of the Alaska Highway goes by the Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge and then the Kluane National Park and Preserve (Canada). Today it was driving in river valleys surrounded by mountains, some snow capped. Every time I saw something that would be a great picture there wasn’t a place to stop. When there were places indicating a photo shoot there were trees or bushes blocking most if not all the shot. I finally stopped along the road, put on the flashers and stood in the middle of the road to get the pictures I wanted.





Cottonwood RV Park is on the shores of Kluane Lake and when I say on the shores I mean it. The back of the trailer is about 20-30’ from the water. It was pretty windy when I arrived but it is calming down now.

We learned about this park when we were at the RV Show in Pomona. We were talking to the couple in the Trailer Life booth and she said they were the ones that rated the various Yukon campgrounds and RV parks. We asked about some and their favorites, Cottonwood was the top on their list. It only has 15 amp service as they generate their own power and hookups are electric and water or electric or none. The ones that back up to the lake are electric only. It is a beautiful park and we will stay here again when we come this way again. The people that own the park are very nice!!!





Kluane Lake to Whitehorse, YT (D-E)
Thursday, August 2nd

I over slept but still got on the road by 7:30 am. I wanted to get to Whitehorse so I could have the truck serviced and do some laundry. Yes, I can do laundry if absolutely necessary but Linda won’t let me do it at home as I don’t do it right (master plan). I got to Whitehorse at 10:45 am, washed the truck and trailer to get the construction mud off then dropped the trailer and went into town and had the truck serviced. It was 54⁰ when I left and 59⁰ when I arrived.

The road from Kluane Lake to Whitehorse was great with only a few frost heaves. I was able to do 90 most of the way (kph which is about 55 mph). I didn’t stop for pictures but needless to say this is a beautiful stretch especially the first part along and through the mountains.

I’m back at Hi Country RV Park the same one we stayed at when we were on our way up.

The news from Linda is good. Our daughter has been released from the hospital and now resting at home under the watchful care of her husband, mother and friends. She is definitely better and on the mend. Her baby is still in critical condition but stable and the doctors are positive. Our son-in-law’s aunt flew out from New York to help. She is an OB nurse and has spent most of her time with the baby, so I don’t think we could wish for anything more in the way of care, they are both getting the best.

I will start down the Cassier Highway tomorrow but haven’t determined where I will stop. I hope to find a place with Wi-Fi or at least a phone. I did discover that my OnStar phone in the truck works even though my AT&T cell service doesn’t. How long that will last I don’t know. All the way would be nice.

I will continue to post whenever I can pictures or not.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Glen,
    Don and are are following your route and are glad that you are moving along at a safe but steady pace. I know that Sadie is watching the road with you and a good companion on the road and She is pretty low maintenance! Be safe and please continue to stay in touch with us as you go along. I have talked with Linda and everyone at home continues to stay positive. Please stay in touch!

    PS you are doing a great job on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the continued blog. I am enjoying it and knowing how things are going.

    ReplyDelete